Monday 9 September 2013

WALKING AWAY.

Dear diary,




Over the last two weeks, I have been walking. The students association in school celebrated her annual health week that is usually declared open with a health walk. I'm always excited about so it is with great joy I go for the 45 mins walk with friends. We usually walk and dance, sharing flyers and toothpastes. Yeah I guess you saw us. It was all fun for me.

On Saturday, I walked again (yeah, it's more like a hobby now). This time it was the exquisite magazine walk against cancer. I wasn't keen on going at first but after my last post here, paranoia set in. I need to correct some deficiencies and so I've decided to walk away. I heard about the walk last year and wanted to attend but I couldn't. When I saw the opportunity again on Saturday, I readily went for it. We walked from eko atlantic to red carpet hall on ligali ayorinde rd. I enjoyed the walk not because of the number of celebs that showed up or the cold stone treat we got or even the freebies that were up for grabs (yeah right) but because it helped raise awareness about cancer. Yeah, i advice you go for your screening if you haven't because cancer is a silent killer and you don't want to be caught up in that web.

Cancer is a an abnormal growth of cells and tissues that can spread if not detected early. Breast, prostate and cervical cancers are rampant here in Nigeria, early detection is the key to surviving. It can be managed with radiotherapy and chemotherapy but non of these can be compared to the safe window you have if it is detected early. Enough of my medical rants, back to the walk!

As we walked, I noticed some differences between the walk on the island and that on the mainland. While walking on the mainland, we saw a lot of people on the road, even the flyers we were sharing finished but walking on the island, you would think there was a strike and people had to stay indoors. We had to start distributing flyers to people in their cars, being careful not to get killed in the process. 

Walking on the mainland, we danced and danced and danced but on the island people danced but were obviously more interested in painting their faces and taking pictures... Cheese!!!!

During the walk on the mainland, people dressed moderately not too loud (is it not what you have that you'll wear?) but on the island, you would think it was a party. Between the girls in Ankara head gears, shorts and the babes in heels like it was a red carpet event, I can only shake my head.

The walk on the mainland helped people to make new friends as some people kept setting p's at the back. On the island, I can't exactly say people made new friends because this faction was to busy hating on the other faction because they wore better clothes or looked too happy. Too many factions during the walk and I just wonder if they belong to the umbrella carrying party. *mouth zipped*.

The refreshments after the walk on the mainland were enough to keep body and soul together ( I won't say more than that) but on the island, it's like they were determined to replace the calories that were lost during the walk. I ain't complaining though. Please pass that ice cream bucket, thank you.

We walked for about 45 mins on the mainland and we were still energetic when we got back to school but after the 90 mins walk on the island, I slept like a baby. You would think I walked from Lagos to Ibadan.... *sigh*.

I could go on and on, like talking about the white couple that were dancing azonto or even the tiny lady that kept screaming "I'm tired, this walk is not for me" ( did she think we were going to ride in a limo? Hello! It's a walk) but I'll stop here for now.

Where are we walking to next week?  Beep me so we can walk together. We may even walk to the moon, who knows. 

Impossibility is nothing.






1 comment:

PUT YOUR 2 CENTS IN THE COMMENT BOX...

Diary favorites...