Thursday 16 January 2014

HOW MAY I HELP YOU PLEASE?


...that's usually the response whenever you call a company or an institution to make an enquiry or a complaint. It may be a male or a female voice but be rest assured you'll be greeted warmly.


Customer service in Nigeria has grown over the years. We have metamorphosed from screaming at customers on the line in irritation to patiently listening or smiling as the customer complains and complains. Some people have still refused to embrace change for the better. You walk into some banks and the look the customer care agent gives you is enough to delete the question or complaint from your head. 

I tried calling a telecommunications network call center a while back and it ended pretty ugly. To get an agent on line was a struggle. When somebody finally picked, i was greeted warmly (that I cannot deny) but when I explained the reason for my call, the agent seeing that it had to do with money (credit deduction et al) suddenly took offense, changed his tone and started addressing me like I was a liar and a thief. I was still explaining myself, trying not to get angry but when he started raising his voice at me, an irked me hung up and sent a strong worded email to the network provider and it was sorted out. 



I was involved in one of such dilemma's again a couple of weeks back (I don't know why they are chasing me). This time I wanted to register my sim. First off, the lady wasn't looking happy seeing me. I had to greet her before she could answer me. She kept me waiting for a while and just carried on like I wasn't there. While I was waiting, a guy came to make a credit transfer and the lady's face lit up like a candle in the middle of the night. She kept on smiling and smiling, even offering him sweets for the 10 minutes he had been there. She chatted with him and laughed all the while he was there.

When she was through with him, she finally had time for me. With her expressionless face, she asked me to fill a form. After filling the form, it was time for registration proper. Transferring the details to the data base was war. She kept telling me I didn't fill the right thing, I didn't write it properly...bla bla bla, like I was a novice. After satisfying my conscience that I wasn't at fault, I picked up my bag and left without saying a word. I finally registered my sim in another place.

Was she having a bad day? Did she not like my face? These are some of the unanswered questions in my head till this day. Even if they were answered in the affirmative, does work ethics not state that she should still attend to me in the right manner against all odds? Yes, we are humans and we aren't wired the way machines are but I think our best should be put forward at all times. 

If you apply for a job, the least you could do is make enquiries about that job. If you feel you can't work like that, you can learn on the job. If you are always angry with the world and you decide to take a customer care agent job then you know some things must change about you. In giving we receive. Love your job and it will love you back.

Thinking about it now I think she's one of those women that dislike their fellow women. Hmmm that reminds me, I have sweet gist for you! Just read it in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PUT YOUR 2 CENTS IN THE COMMENT BOX...

Diary favorites...